Audio Artist // Ableton Certified Trainer // Founder of electronic music school Rumkraft.dk
Stud.MSc.engineering Sound & Music Computing (Aalborg University, Denmark)
Music production and sound engineering master programme (Dubspot, New York City)
BSc. Biomedicine & Psychology (Roskilde University, Denmark)
IMPROVISED ELECTRONIC MUSIC
Ras Kjærbo hails from the northern reaches of Europe. A place known for its murky solitude, white snow, common welfare, and happy citizens. Emerging from a colorful background in academics, entertainment, and teaching, Ras ended up on the road to music production and technology in the aftermath of his studies – and has been treading the path ever since. He holds a bachelor’s degree in biomedicine with side-studies on psychology, he has studied the cognitive neuroscience of music at Goldsmith’s University of London and is currently working on his master’s degree civil engineering in Sound & Music Computing at Aalborg University in Copenhagen.
With gigs ranging from New York and New Delhi to Tokyo and back, Ras has gotten to share his unique and diverse style of performing around the world. Festivals, clubs, art shows, environmental happenings, trade shows, political parties, you name it; the more obscure and unique an opportunity to play, the better.
Ras spent 2011 at the renowned music technology school Dubspot in New York City – as both student and employee. After returning home to Denmark, Ras became the first Ableton Certified Trainer in Northern Europe and started teaching globally as one of 300 Certified Trainers worldwide. In 2013, Ras worked as headmaster of the Strøm School – the educational aspect of Scandinavia’s biggest electronic music festival, Strøm – catering workshops and masterclasses focused on electronic music and Djing. In 2015 Ras founded his own music school, Rumkraft, which became the first Ableton Certified Training Centre in Northern Europe.
When experiencing a performance with Ras, you will find it deeply rooted in the setting, you, the crowd, and the atmosphere. Whether it’s a DJ set, an art installation, or improvised live concert.
Gigs, events, installations:
- Danish Culture Night 2019 and 2018, installation for the Red Cross Copenhagen, Denmark
- Elektronisk Bølge v. CLICK! Festival, Helsingor, Denmark 2019
- Copenhagen Yoga Festival, 2017
- Move Copenhagen, 2017
- Being Gathering, Portugal, Boomland, 2017
- Meadows in the Mountains, Bulgaria, 2017
- Plugout Festival, 2016, Engelsholm, Denmark
- Viften, Tapperiet, Gimle, Musikkens Afkroge, 2017
- uKirke, Wondercrane x Kulturnatten, Copenhagen, 2017
- Kommunal Kunst og Teknik, Copenhagen, 2017
- Olympic Games 2016, Rio de Janeiro
- Ableton Loop, Funkhaus Berlin, 2016
- Trinitatis Natkirke, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2016
- Greenville Festival & OTB, New Delhi, India, 2014
- Roskilde Festival 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019
- Roskilde University Annual Party w. Kjeld Tolstrup
- Various live performances for improvised dance, yoga, sound systems, and DJ gigs around the world (Denmark, France, United Kingdom, Sweden, Italy, Tokyo)